Last night I was looking up poems online, and I came across many beautiful poems. Although I have seen the words "Author Unknown" many times before, for some reason those words stood out to me. What a shame that we will never know who penned such beautiful poems. It made me think about people. How many people do not know who the supreme Author is. Hebrews 5:9 says, He became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him.
The term author, in the Greek language, is aitios which means that which causes something. It can also be translated from the Greek word archego which means chief leader, prince, or captain.
Considering authors, let's look at a few elements all good stories have alike.
- Inciting Action - The opening of a story with some event that sets the characters and action in motion. If we look at God's story of all mankind, God's inciting action is "In the beginning God created..." Wow, that got my attention! However, the Author begins my personal story with Once upon a hill (Calvary)!
- Conflict - There needs to be some challenge to overcome or some quest or mystery. The character or characters need to have some type of struggle. Wow, isn't that just like this fallen world! Since the Garden of Eden, we have all the conflict our stories need!
- Protagonist - One who is on some sort of quest. Yes, that would be us! Like The Pilgrims' Progress, we are on our way to the Celestial City!
- Antagonist - One who is bent on stopping the hero. Any ideas? That would be Satan himself trying to hurt God's beloved.
- Resolution - Make sure the conflict gets resolved by the end of the book. Praise the Lord, we know that our Author has all issues resolved! One thing I have noticed about other authors’ books is that the resolution to their story doesn't make sense. They set up the conflict, make the characters interesting and then resolve it with something that comes out of the blue. In their efforts to be creative, they end up making the ending implausible and that hurts the story. Isn't that just like the world today! People think they are writing their own story, and they think they can end it however they want. How pitiful they are. In reality, Satan is writing their story. Wow, can you see how dangerous that is? I can see Satan trying to write a way of no escape for one of his characters. Perhaps his character will commit suicide, die of an overdose, abuse his or her own child, hijack a plane and fly it into a skyscraper. Don't get me wrong, we have been created with a will of our own. We are not fictional characters! This is just an analogy! Proverbs 16:9 says, "A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps." We can choose to let God be the Author and finisher of our faith, or we can live like the devil. Whatever our decision, it can only be one of these two choices. Oh, what an evil author Satan is! His "books" will feed the fires of hell. However, our Lord and Savior is the supreme, ever loving Author! He knew the resolution before he even began our story. He makes a way of escape through every twist and turn. He is all powerful and able to take a character from under Satan's quill, and make him or her a new character for the glory of His story! He comforts through the sad chapters of life. Here again, we need to understand that we were created with a free will and a choice. Sin entered the world because Adam and Eve chose to disobey God. Therefore, God is not deliberately placing us in conflict, grief , or painful story plots. Everything God created was good! Man's free will opened the door to the painful chapters of life. But God so loves us that He authors a resolution to every difficulty. He is on every story page. In fact, His story is interactive! We are expected to have a close relationship with the Author of our life! He already knows what's in the chapters ahead. He loves His characters. He gave His life for His characters. Our story books are in the palm of His hand. He knows us from cover to cover. Although we are still in rough draft format here on earth, our final draft is being published in Heaven. There, He will mend all our ripped pages and His words will never fade, Hallelujah! He is the Author, Editor (He does chastise us), and Publisher of LOVE Stories! May the library of Heaven be full!
What a marvelous, supreme Author! Never has there been nor could there ever be an equal or greater Author!
"Author Unknown" are two of the saddest words to me now.
I am so thankful that I know the Author of my life!