Monday, May 12, 2014

A Minute in the Word: Jealousy




Jealousy is such an ugly word! It has overtones of selfishness, suspicion, and distrust. 
It is possessive, demanding and overbearing. 

It breeds tension and discord 
(Proverbs 6:19 says that it is an abomination to the Lord to sew discord among the brethren. Jealousy breeds discord!)

It destroys friendships and marriages. 

I view jealousy as a horrible and ugly trait!

I hate it!

Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous;
love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; 1 Cor. 13:4

does not act unbecomingly....
Jealousy is so unbecoming for a Christian. It's appearance is ugly and resembles nothing of the beauty of holiness.

But if ye have bitter jealousy and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. James 3:14

For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and evil of every kind. James 3:16


Dear Lord, 
Help me never to harbor jealousy in my heart. If jealousy arises, please help me to realize it and repent of it immediately. Help me not to become bitter by another person's jealousy or selfishness. Guard my heart and fill it with Your love. Amen









6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these verses. I pray also that I don't harbor jealousy. I am finding that the more I die to self, the less there is to be jealous of.

    God bless! Visiting from the 'Word Filled' link-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The more we have God in us and less "self", the less we will be affected by jealousy or another's jealousy towards us. To have the mind of Christ and the love of Christ leaves little room for anything else.
      Thanks for your comment. Visit my blog again.
      God Bless you too!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the inspirational prayer against jealousy. It is a mighty foe! I know others will be blessed by these words so I thank you for sharing at the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Never let me harbor jealousy..." That's my prayer, too. I've seen the damage it can do. My husband says that every sin finds it's beginning in jealousy/covetousness. Contentment guards against it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Pamela. I have seen first hand how it ruins relationships. It is such an ugly trait.

      Delete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...