Friday, June 6, 2014

Study of Isaiah 58:6-12

"Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." Matthew 17:21
Here is a study or study outline of Isaiah 58:6-12 (KJV) that I put together using the Webster’s 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language.
 Looking up several words of scripture from this wonderful dictionary is a great way to study verses and chapters.
 I hope you will be blessed.


Isaiah 58:6-12
Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to *loose the *bands of wickedness, 
Loose- to unbind, to release from imprisonment, to set at liberty, to free from obligation, to free from anything that binds or shackles, to disengage, to put off, to open, to remit or absolve
Bands- things that hold us or have us bound. Bands hold a number of things.
How many things can have us bound...
unforgiveness,
addictions
past hurt
hate
sickness
doubt 
anxiety
over-eating 
fear? 
But we can be set free!

to undo the heavy *burdens,

Burdens- a load of labor or difficulty, that which is grievous, wearisome, or oppressive

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

and to let the *oppressed go free, 
oppressed- burdened with unreasonable impositions, over-powered, over- burdened, depressed, misery, *dullness of spirit 
dullness- no desire, not clear, lifeless, or sluggish spirit

A fast can be the answer to free you from a dullness of spirit. During a spiritual fast, the Holy Spirit seems to fill and overflow in you. Issues that were not clear, can become clear. Desire and life can be restored!

and that ye break every *yoke?
Yoke- bondage, something that restrains us or *confines us.
Restrain- to hold from action, to hinder from unlimited enjoyment or pleasure, to limit
Confine- having a boundary, to restrain from escape by force or obstacles
A fast can break EVERY yoke! Look at the words "restrain" and "confine". What id holding us from action?
 What is hindering our prayers?
 Why can't we escape?
During a fast, EVERY yoke that confines and restrains us can be BROKEN!

 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou sees the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Verse 7 seems to be self explanatory, but it is important not to overlook this! Do you look for ways to help others? Do you call, visit, pray for the sick? Do you look for ways to show Christian hospitality? Pray that God will give you a heart of love and compassion.

Then shall thy *light break forth as the morning,
Light- illumination of mind, instruction & knowledge, understanding, wisdom

Christ is the true Light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Light is joy, saving knowledge, prosperity, support and comfort.
Lets look at the word "light".
 During a fast, we can gain understanding and knowledge. We can think the thoughts God wants us to. It can be easier to hear the Lord speak to us.
Then shall thy LIGHT shall break forth.
 Jesus is the Light, and He can break forth in every situation and bring healing, deliverance, and unspeakable joy!

and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy *righteousness shall go before thee; 
Righteousness- Just, one who is holy in heart, purity of heart, perfection or holiness.

The Lord is our righteousness Jer. 23
Our Righteousness shall go before us!
 Jesus will lead us in all righteousness through all situations!

the *glory of the Lord shall be thy *rearward.
Glory- brightness, splendor, magnificence, the divine presence
Rearward- the last troop, the rear guard, the latter part
His divine presence will be before and behind us to guide, strengthen, and sustain us. 

Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and He shall say, Here I am! 
...for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

...behold, I am with you always.
 Matt. 28:20

...I will never leave you nor forsake you.

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.Rom. 8:38-39

...I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isa. 41:10

...Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me...Psalm 23:4


If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity; ( Do not oppress the weak and stop making false accusations and spreading vicious rumors)
And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul;
then shall thy *light *rise in *obscurity, and thy *darkness be as the noon day:
light- illumination of mind, instruction & knowledge, understanding, wisdom

rise- To break forth; to appear, To begin to exist; to originate; to come into being or notice, to be excited; to begin to move or act

obscurity- Dark; destitute of light.

Darkness- Absence of light, Great trouble and distress; calamities; perplexities

Then shall thy light rise in obscurity (during our darkness and distress). Our light, which is understanding, knowledge, and illumination from Jesus(the TRUE Light), will rise and begin to exist, begin to move, or act in our troubles! 

And the Lord shall *guide thee *continually
Guide- To lead or direct in a way; to conduct in a course or path
Continually- Without pause or cessation, unceasingly

and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
 And they that shall be of thee shall *build the old *waste places:

Build- To raise any thing on a support or foundation, to increase and strengthen; to cement and knit together; to settle or establish and preserve

Waste- Desolate; uncultivated, Destroyed; ruined, unproductive

To build on the old waste places is to have Jesus as the strength and foundation, and to build back what was left desolate after the devil thought it was destroyed.

This is a great time to give God the praise!
 He can give an alcoholic a new foundation that Satan thought was destroyed.
 He can cleanse all unrighteousness!

He built a "temple" back in three days! :) 

thou shalt raise up the *foundations of many generations

foundations- The basis or ground work, or any thing; that on which any thing stands, and by which it is supported,

Hallelujah!
 Thou shall raise up foundations for MANY generations! 
 Pray and fast for many generations.
Fast for your children, grandchildren, great grandchildren...if the Lord tarries.
 May our children's foundation be the precious Cornerstone!
Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone - a precious cornerstone. Isa 28:16

and thou shalt be called, The *repairer of the *breach, 
repairer- One who repairs, restores or makes amends

breach- a break or gap, the space between the part of a solid body, the separation by means of enmity(enemy-Satan)

How exciting to be called a repairer of the breach!
 Fasting and prayer can repair the "space between the part of a solid".
 Meaning...helping someone who has been separated from God by enmity(Satan/Sin). Fast and pray for the lost.

The *restorer of *paths to *dwell in.
Restorer- One that restores; one that returns what is lost or *unjustly detained

Path- narrow way, a course of life

Dwell- to continue long in, or in a permanent place.

Look at the words "unjustly detained".
 How many people do we know who are unjustly detained? We probably have family or friends who have erred from the way. To restore is to return that which was lost. I have a vision of a sheep who has wandered away from the fold. A sheep aimlessly walking further and further away, or perhaps the sheep has fallen into a deep ditch. 

Fast and pray for those who need to be restored to the narrow way.

Thank you for your word, Lord Almighty! Let us read and understand it. I give praise to your Holy name, Lord Jesus! Amen!

12 comments:

  1. This is SOOO good!! Thank you for posting it. This is just what I needed to read today, as I was just asking God about some heavy burdens this morning. He is always faithful to give us direction, IF we ask him. Looking up definitions to even common words really gives us a better understanding of what God is saying. That is why he says to 'study', not just read his word. Excellent post!! Thank you for sharing your hard work in study with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Sandra! God's word is so amazing. I love how I can read a verse one day and then it speaks something new to me on another day. His word is alive! What an amazing book we are blessed with the freedom to own and read!
      God bless you!
      Chris

      Delete
  2. This was wonderful! Thank you for posting this. Even though we know what a word means, looking up the definition or really thinking about it can take you in a whole new direction as you think about what it REALLY means.

    For example, I know what "loose" means, of course. But if I were reading this verse and looked up the meaning, I would see the word "bind" and start thinking about things that were binding in my life.

    Or even just stopping to think about what the verse is saying. We should always look for an application rather than just skimming through for a "happy meal" verse instead of desiring the full mean deal!

    Thanks for inviting me to your link up. I will hopefully remember to link up on Wednesday this week! Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment. I know exactly what you mean. That is exactly what happened. When I looked up these words in the 1828 Webster's dictionary, I was so excited. I know the Spirit was showing me new and special meanings through this study. I was so excited about the words "unjustly detained", because I know a couple of people in particular who these words made me think of. All the way through this study, I could feel the Lord's presence. Even though it is still good to read now, I could not type, with any words, what I felt during that "Spiritual experience". I guess it's one of those "you have to be there" moments. I am glad that you enjoyed it.
      God Bless,
      Chris
      Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  3. This is my first visit to your blog and your post today was absolutely perfect for a prayer partner who is not online so I read it to her over the phone and have printed it to post to her.
    I have tried to subscribe with FB but have not had any joy and I am not a blogger or a twitterer- if you can subscribe with my email please do: gemmill.mary@gmail.com
    God bless you- as I have been blessed with this wonderful study just nhow I like to do them!!

    Mary, New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I will look into how I can add email subscribers to my blog. I am new to blogging. In the meantime, visit my blog. I will try to remember to email you new studies as I do them. I am glad that it was a blessing.
      God Bless,
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your study about fasting and the bondage that can be broken, with us here at "Tell Me a Story." When we fast, we must seek the Lord in Prayer and come before Him to learn what he desires us to do during and after the fast. May God Bless you and bring victory and deliverance to those you are praying for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Hazel!
      God bless you.

      Delete
  5. What an inspiring Bible Study! Thank you for sharing hope for the hurt! And thank you for linking this up with us this week! Please join us again next Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess. I will link up again Monday.
      God bless,
      Chris

      Delete
  6. I think God's word is amazing, and you are right, looking into the definitions of specific words helps the meaning jump off the page at us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed this post.
      God bless,
      Chris

      Delete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...