Wednesday, June 11, 2014

O How Sweet The Sound

As I was writing today's entry for "Favorite Quotes/Verses" in My Day Book, I wrote the lyrics to an old hymn that I use to sing in the choir as a young girl. 

I can make it, through the valley, over mountains, through the storm. Jesus keeps me so completely I can make it all the way home. 
~ I Can Make It- an old church hymn

  Oh, how sweet the sound! I can still hear this beautiful melody and the great alto singers coming in during the harmony. 


I am so blessed to have been raised in church!  These old songs come up out of nowhere! Well, not really "nowhere". I am so amazed that these songs live inside my heart, and sometimes they must feel like being sung again. If I tried to remember them all, I could not.  I guess this song "came out" because of a post I read over at Homespun Devotions, and because a mild storm just came through. 

Scripture does this also.  When I need it, it comes flooding back to my mind.  Verse after verse, God has comforted me with His word several times.   


Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: they shall walk, O Lord, in the light of thy countenance.
In thy name shall they rejoice all the day: and in thy righteousness shall they be exalted. For thou art the glory of their strength Psalm 89: 15-17


This is why it is important to instill God's word and hymns of worship into our children.  In their joy and trials, what will they hear?  Will it be songs of praise and adoration? Will it be scriptures of deliverance, strength, praise, and comfort? I surly hope so!
    
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Colossians 3:16

14 comments:

  1. Oh, Chris! This post brought tears to my eyes. I, too, love those old hymns. They come up to my mind many times, also, when I am in a battle and need encouragement. I think of David and how the Bible says he encouraged himself in the Lord. I wonder if he was doing that during the writing of some of those wonderful Psalms. Maybe hidden away in a cave trying to escape King Saul's wrath or on the run trying to reach a place of safety. How I love to read those precious words AND sing and remember those dear, old songs. So thankful to you for the mention here today, also. Love you, dear friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too Cheryl. I feel like we're close friends. I suppose we are in the Lord. Thank you for your sweet comment. If I never meet you here on earth, I know we'll be best friends in Heaven!
      God bless,
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Songs that I learned in church when I was young often pop into my head also. I think they are forever in my heart!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are, Jann. I am thankful that they are forever in my heart.
      Thanks for visiting!
      God bless,
      Chris

      Delete
  3. I love hymns as well! I've never heard that song before, though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog, Amanda.
      God bless,
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Hymns are able to calm down our emotion and providing us with our inner peace. Thanks for sharing with 4 seasons blog hop. Cheers and have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely reminder to instill the good things! Thanks for sharing this one on our link up as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment!
      God bless,
      Chris

      Delete
  6. I love the old hymns, too, and have a whole series of dozens them (with my added thoughts) on one of my blogs. Here is the link to the index: http://watchtheshepherd.blogspot.com/p/strength-in-hymn.html

    "Let the Beauty of Jesus Be Seen in Me" is the most read in the series, even though so many have never heard of it. You can find it here: http://watchtheshepherd.blogspot.com/2013/05/let-beauty-of-jesus-be-seen-in-me-hymn.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Virginia I will check it out now.
    God bless,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true, Chris! The old hymns were theologically sound, almost like singing the scriptures. Be Thou My Vision is my favorite. And In the Garden, because my Nana loved it so. It is such a blessing when these words, and the words of scripture come to us in our time of need. God is so good. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment June.
      God bless,
      Chris

      Delete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...