Monday, June 9, 2014

Tour of the Chicken Barn on Clean-Up Day

Here is our chicken barn! We still have to bury a little more wire around the perimeter so nothing can dig under, plant a few more rose bushes and flowers around it, and make a pretty wreath for the front wall.  We use the wheelbarrow, so I may put a potted plant in it to pretty it up a bit.  I still plan on making a dust bath for the yard area soon.  I hope to get that project done this week!  


 Okay, let's get cleaning!
  Here are my two "poop scooper" tools. 

 In order to maintain a clean environment, I scoop about 3 times a week.

 I also use them to scrape and catch the poop on the ladder.

Looks like I might have a broody hen.  I hope so!

 Clean nesting boxes are essential for healthy chickens and eggs!
Over at Fresh Eggs Daily ,  I found Homemade Orange Peel White Vinegar Coop Cleaner.  I like using it to freshen up their coop area. I get many helpful ideas from her blog and from The Chicken Chick!


 Isn't she such a sweetheart for showing us her babies?
  
Now, this looks like a clean coop area!  I plan on making a "poop hammock" that will be placed under the roosting bar. This will make cleaning in this area much simpler.  It will also be a great way to collect the poo for fertilizer. 

A good raking finishes the job.

Don't they look appreciative ? 



I like to keep their water clean by hanging it a few inches off of the ground. I often add Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar to the water for its wide array of health benefits. 
 

Well, that clean for another day!


Remember sweet little Sassafras? 


 Well as it turns out, she is a hen!

 I'm glad because I was wanting more good egg-layers. I have her separated from the other chicks until she is big enough to fight back.  Chicken do tend to pick on newcomers.  Sassafras does mingle with the other chickens along the outside their chicken yard.  I think this will help them get use to her.

Here's an extra for today! 
 Since an alligator has taken up residence in our pond, I am glad to see that the ducks are still thriving in this naturally wet area.  

You'll notice that I only have two now.  Don't worry, the gator didn't get the other two.  I gave them to my best friend , and they are doing great in her pond. I hope we both got a drake and a hen.  You can't see it in this picture, but the duck on the right has a tail feather that looks like it is curling up.  I heard this was a way to distinguish it as a male. 

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE all of these pictures! It is so nice to see peeks into your farming life. ;) So blessed to visit here today. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love having chickens! It's a hobby of mine:)
      God bless,
      Chris

      Delete
  2. I'm coveting your clean chicken coop. :-) Ours looks no where near this clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, ours is new. I want to try to keep it clean so I clean it often. Thanks for visiting!
      God bless, Chris

      Delete
  3. My oh my, an alligator! Wow, I am surprised those ducks are still alive. Thanks for the tour of your chicken coop, it is so nice and clean! I need to give ours a one-two as well! Thanks for sharing on the Art of Home-Making Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, the alligator was relocated yesterday. I hope it was the only one. The ducks still wont get in the pond. It may take a while. Thanks for visiting my blog!!
      God bless,
      Chris

      Delete
  4. What a wonderfully spacious coop and so smart to use sand for the litter! Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop!

    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick®
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. The sand makes it easy like scooping kitty litter. Thanks for hosting blog hops!
      God bless,
      Chris

      Delete
  5. What a nice coop, it looks nice and cool in hot weather. I like the sand as bedding too, so easy to clean. But ugh, an alligator? I'm glad it's gone! Thank you for sharing at the HomeAcre Hop; I hope you'll join us again this Thursday.
    Kathi at Oak Hill Homestead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathi
      I love your blog. I will be visiting regularly.
      God bless,
      Chris

      Delete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...