Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Faux Caramel Apples and Dreams of Fall

Although it has been extremely hot here in Georgia, we've had a small taste of Fall.  For the past couple of days, we have enjoyed lower temperatures and breezy days. 
On top of that, the corn field across the road has been harvested, and our neighbor is burning a huge pile of tree limbs near the fence line today.
Ahhh, it smells like Fall.
Perhaps I am jumping the gun, but
 I am itching for Fall now!
Yesterday, I whipped up a batch of faux caramel apples and began decorating.

  
I added red ribbon to the apples that
 I placed on my old stove.


 These apples will also look festive during Christmas.

I used straw ribbon on these.
Don't they look like ...
Fall
hayrides
crisp air
falling leaves
crackling fires
?


~How to make faux caramel apples~

fake apples (this recipe will make 15-20 apples)

Mod Podge (Gloss) 8 oz.

2- 2oz.craft glue in a caramel color (Apple Barrel paint from Walmart)
wooden sticks or Popsicle sticks
waxed paper
small plastic bowl or cup

corn cob litter


Mix 8 oz. of Mod Podge and two 2 oz. bottles of caramel color paint together in a small bowl. Insert sticks into apples. Dip and roll apples around in the fake caramel mixture.  Let them drip for a moment then place them on wax paper.  Add corn cob litter as nuts.  Let dry for several hours. After the sides dry, turn them over to let the bottom dry.
Add ribbon.


Popcorn, coffee beans, and a mulled cider candle make my kitchen look and smell as if Fall is in the air.

Fall flowers in an old metal pail look abundantly beautiful!

Here's a glimpse of the forecast where I live. 
Wow, this is a decent break in temperature for us!  It will probably be near 100 degrees again by the middle of next week.
If you comment, let me know where you live and what the weather feels like there.

Well, have a blessed day, Dear Readers.  I have to go out and feed the chickens now.

20 comments:

  1. Really cute idea! I love fall and can't wait for it to get here. The weather has been terrible here. 100* temps several days in a row. Upper 90's with heat index of 115! We live in Missouri! It has been a long time since we have had these extreme temperatures. Very little rain too. looking at your forecast, it doesn't look very cool. So, until October, try to stay cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment. We have warm fronts all throughout our winter here in Georgia. Missouri sounds nice. I bet the Winter is nice there. The snow most always stays north of us. Last year we did get an awesome ice storm. We were without electricity at my house for around 4 days. Call me crazy, but I enjoyed it! I get so tired of this hot South Georgia weather. Lord, help me to be joyful and thankful in everything.

      Delete
  2. Hi and wow I love your fall decorations. You had me fooled with the candy apples - I thought that they were real! Lol. Have a wonderful day and week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice compliments. The apples do have me craving the real thing!
      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Hi Chris! I just love these ideas! The apples are cute as a button...not sure that I've get around to doing them though. Maybe one day! Now, the popcorn/coffee centerpiece is on my to-do list and I'll have that in my dining room very soon. I added this post as a "for more creative ideas" link in a fall decorating article we have on our site. :)
    Blessings!
    ~Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Candy for your nice comment and for sharing my post. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how fun. I love these. And your home is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the 'how to'! This post is perfect for my Fall linky party. Come over and check it out!

    http://myjourneyback-thejourneyback.blogspot.com/2014/09/welcome-fall-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment. I linked up and will visit you often.
      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing this post on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! It has been featured in our ODE TO AUTUMN ~ LINK UP LOVE column :)

    http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2014/09/ode-to-autumn-link-up-love.html

    Have a lovely weekend and we warmly invite you to link up again on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JES! That was very sweet and I appreciate it a lot!
      God bless.

      Delete
  7. What fun fall creativity! Those fake caramel apples look tasty. How do the apples keep like this? I'm going to save these ideas. Thanks for the inspiration. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. Since all the ingredients, including the apples, are fake I hope that they will keep year after year. I am glad you liked the post. Visit again!
      God bless.

      Delete
  8. Hi, soo cute. But may I ask, what is corn cob liter? Where does one get it? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment. The corn cob litter/bedding can be found in pet stores. Our Walmart did not have it, so I had to use real pecans. Real pecans wont last like the cob litter/bedding. When I have to make more, I will definiteIy use cob litter/bedding. You can Google images of it. It looks just like nuts.
      Thanks for visiting my blog.
      God bless.

      Delete
    2. I added pictures of the corn cob litter/bedding.

      Delete
  9. Those are awesome!

    Thanks for linking up with the Caffeinated Crafters!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting and for the lovely comment.
      God bless.

      Delete
  10. WHo would have known that your apples are faux, wow Im impressed. And the fall flowers are beautiful, I need to get mine out and freshen my fall wreath!!

    Thanks for stopping by to share on the #OMHGWW this week!
    Have a great week!
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw these over at Oh My Heartsie Girls Wordless Wednesday! I love this idea! We don't have any one small over at my house these days, so these would be so cute hanging out on a platter on my table or on my kitchen counter! I had never thought of doing this, but they would really add to the feeling of Fall in my home. I would love it if you would stop by and share over at my Celebrate it Sunday link party, you can link up anytime before Friday! I hope to see you there, and I will be pinning and sharing (and making) these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I would have never guessed those were faux apples, they look seriously real! I have an obsession with candles, and love the idea of using corn and coffee beans as filler! Thank you for sharing at #OMHGWW! Pinned to my Autumn Bliss board and tweeted! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...