Sunday, September 14, 2014

Effectual Prayer Life


Over the past couple of weeks I have been greatly convicted about my prayer life.
I need to make prayer the center of everything that I do…make it who I am.
Throughout my day, I usually....
 study the Bible,
talk with someone about the greatness of God,
listen to online sermons,
get excited about a verse of scripture,
read a Christian post,
sing hymns,
and center my thoughts on all these things.
All this is good, right?
I think so, but only if it doesn't replace my
one-on-one time with the Lord.
Lately, my days have been full of "spiritual moments" but lacking in time alone with the Lord.
Of course, throughout my day I say prayers here and there. I pray at mealtimes or when a need comes to mind, but I know that 
I MUST PRAY MORE DILIGENTLY!

And in that day did the Lord God of hosts call to weeping, and to mourning, and to baldness, and to girding with sackcloth  Isaiah 22:12
Good intentions are 
NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
I have looked back many evenings and though that I should have had special prayer time set apart from everything else.
I wont let another day go by!
It is getting late and bedtime is approaching, but I will stay up tonight!
I MUST stay up!  
I need to talk with my Lord.  
I need to weep at His feet because:
 my heart sank when I read the news headlines today,
the whole world seems to be messed up,
loved ones need salvation,
loved ones need healing,
some need deliverance from addictions,
so many are being deceived,
people are hurting,
some people don't care,
the prayer list at church is heart-breaking,
so many people need prayer,
and I have my own personal issues.
This just scratches the surface, and it's enough to keep me in prayer all night.

And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven
Nehemiah 1:4

Did not I weep for him that was in trouble? was not my soul grieved for the poor? Job 30:25


God knows and records our tears!
" put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?" Psalm 56:8
How amazing is the thought of my tears being recorded by the Lord!  When I sit and weep about all the evil (being called good) in this world, God records each tear.  He sees each tear I shed for a loved one.  Will He not hear my prayers?

This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.Psalm 34:6

 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.
He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him. Psalm 126:5-6

At this moment,
I don't need another sermon. 
I don't need to read another great post.
I don't need another daily devotional.
I don't need to talk with a friend about how great God is.
As good as all that is,
I just need to pray!

Listen how beautiful this verse is...
Arise, cry out in the night: in the beginning of the watches pour out thine heart like water before the face of the Lord: lift up thy hands toward him for the life of thy young children, that faint for hunger in the top of every street.
Lamentations 2:19

I wondered why this verse says "lift up thy hands toward him for the life of thy young children". 
I was reminded of a study I did a few days ago.
 When moses instructed the Israelites to fight against Amalek, he lifted his hands during the battle. 
And it came to pass, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed: and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed. Exodus 17:11
Aaron and Hur had to hold Moses' hands up when he grew tired.
After the battle was won, Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovah Nissi (The Lord is My Banner).
Therefore, when I lift my hands towards the Lord, I am raising a banner (a flag) on the battlefield of spiritual warfare.  Not just any banner, but Jehovah Nissi!

So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a Banner against him. Isaiah 59:19

Well, Dear Readers, the house is quiet now, and it is time for me to go pray. 
God bless you all.

If you liked this post, please consider sharing it on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Just click on the tiny icons below the post. Thanks!

14 comments:

  1. A beautiful post and so true. I have found myself at this point many times. I have to stop, re-focus and draw near to Him. I do this through more diligent prayer. We serve an awesome God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Mary. We do serve an awesome God....the Good Shepherd that cares for us and brings us to the place we need to be. I am so thankful for that.
      God bless.

      Delete
  2. So often when groups of us are together and someone shares some bad news it breaks my heart to hear someone reply, "well, all we can do is pray". REALLY? It should be the first thing we do without even thinking aobut it. I too have been working on my prayer life. Reading a book right now by Philip Yancey which I will review later. Some parts I agree with others leave me with a not so good feeling...Holy Spirit give me wisdom. God Bless and have a great day! (in prayer) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. People say, "All we can do is pray.", and I wonder how many really do. I'm not judging, but it seems like so many people are asleep spiritually. When I see the world today, I feel like falling down in sackcloth and ashes. I don't think people want to humble themselves.
      I will pray that God will give you wisdom about the book you're reading. Thanks for your lovely comment.
      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. Chris, what a pleasure to come on over here today! (Thanks for your comment on my blog, too!) Yes, we both had Moses and Aaron and Hur on our minds! This is a wonderful post, one that inspired and challenged me. I so often think about the Lord, and often talk about Him - but sometimes I can get lax in talking TO Him. Prayer is a mighty weapon. I think the enemy wants us to forget that. Sometimes I have caught myself saying to someone, "Well, I can't do much about the situation, but I'll pray about it." Like, prayer is a last resort??? So foolish!

    The Lord calls us to pour our hearts out to Him - just like David did - the good, bad, and ugly. And then, He also asks us to listen for the still, small voice that would speak to us.

    It's all about communication, and communion. Prayer is a privilege, a responsibility, and a blessing. May I never forget this! There is power on my knees...

    GOD BLESS!

    (I will be privileged to join your linkup on Wednesday!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very sweet, Sharon. I am glad that I ran across your post today. I believe it was through God and not by chance. It's nice to know another Sister-in-Christ! I will visit you often!
      God bless!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this beautiful post on special one on one time with our Lord. Yes, throughout the day we pray here and there but it is not the same as alone time. Thank you for sharing your lovely post with us here at “Tell Me a Story.” http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it, Hazel. Thanks for the lovely comment and for hosting.
      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Visiting from Woman to Woman today. A much-needed, convicting post. Thank you, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you visited. I am also glad that the post was something you needed to hear. I think we all need stirring from time to time. Please visit often.
      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. You're welcome. I pray you have a blessed week.
      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  7. Such a needed post, and I have been convicted in this area as well. God's word instructs us to go into our closet and "close the door" when we pray. I blogged recently on that topic. How hard it is to close the door on all of the distractions around us, but God is jealous of or affections, and he won't be Number Two in our lives. Thanks for reminding me of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gayle. Your comment spoke to me as well. Have a blessed week.
      God bless.

      Delete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...