Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Jumping On The Bandwagon

Why are many Christians so eager to jump on the bandwagon (pun intended) just because something says it's Christian?
For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God. 
John 12:43
I recently heard about another "Rocking out for Christ" type concert.  Many Christians are making plans to attend.  Churches are taking their youth groups so their kids can jump, shout, make "worship" gestures, and headbang. 
Here is one of the groups performing. 
Does this look "set apart" or "of the world"? Actually, they're dressed like they should be on the cover of a Twilight movie or Beetlejuice. Am I judging? No, I am not judging their heart, or how God may deal with them. I am discerning between the things of this world and holiness.
And here is some information I found that settled the issue for me.
Everyday more and more artists or bands in the Christian industry speak about shedding the title of "Christian." In an interview with STLtoday, front man of the band Skillet, John Cooper, went into greater detail about why he and his band prefer to avoid using the word "Christian."
"I just tell people I'm in a hard-rock band. I leave 'Christian' out," he told STLtoday. "A lot of people don't know what Christian rock is, or they think it's only for Christian people. We're not a band that only sings to Christian people. I meet tons of fans, and I've had fans that said, 'I'm an atheist and I love your message."

But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. Matthew 16:23

Here is another group performing at this "Jam".
Modest apparel?
Pertaining to godliness?
What is my reasoning for being against this form of 
"Christian" music and performance? 
I will tell you.
God does not tell Christians to reach the world by becoming part of it!
In fact, the bible says, "And be not conformed to this world..."Romans 12:2



Wow, here is another group that many Christians will be running to hear at this Thursday's Jam.


If the picture doesn't speak for itself, here is a little information about this band and quotes from one of its members.
According to Solomon Olds, "To me, and pretty much anybody that's under my age, most Christian music is a turnoff. I don't want to be affiliated with that. I want to be affiliated with something that is great music.
Their debut album has been both disparaged and praised by Christian and non-Christian critics respectively for not containing overtly Christian content in any of its tracks. 
Family Force 5 claims to be a Christian band and they may be a band made up of self-professing Christians. But the lyrics to their songs have nothing to do with Jesus Christ, His church or anything of lasting moral value. Their lyrics primarily fall into 3 categories: Partying, Dancing, and Infatuation with girls.
The music of Family Force 5 causes people to lose self control – which is in opposition to the fruit of the Holy Spirit.
In fact their lyrics encourage this:
Hey kids rock ‘n’ roll
Shake your body now lose control
Just Move it, Lose it
Whatcha Whatcha gonna do with it
Hey kids rock ‘n’ roll
Shake your body now lose control
There is spiritual danger behind this!
As for so called Christians, I can only think of two words...
Spiritually asleep!
It is like satan has unleashed a noxious gas that has dulled or totally paralyzed the minds of Christians.
Why don't parents, church leaders,  and pastors find out more about these groups they are encouraging their kids to go watch?

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge Hos. 4:6

  How many don't care or don't want to see any harm in it?  How many just want to please their children and give them an alternative(albeit it is not an alternative at all) to other activities?  How many don't question it because it claims to be "Christian" oriented? 
Do they see it as the lesser of two evils, or do they just not see the evil?
Satan is the master deceiver, and he is busy at work.
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 2 Cor. 11:14

Please Christians, think twice before jumping on the bandwagon!
This goes for movies and other forms of "entertainment" as well!
Let's look at the Super Bowl. 
Ouch, I'm stepping on some toes here.
  However, I read on Christiannews.net that 
Perry III
Pop star Katy Perry, a former contemporary Christian artist, promoted experimenting with lesbianism during the halftime show during Super Bowl XLIX, singing her 2008 hit song “I Kissed a Girl” to the thousands gathered at the University of Phoenix stadium and the millions watching on television.
According to reports,the Super Bowl generated record ratings, up 4 percent from last year, with over 100 million people estimated as viewing the game, including the halftime show featuring Perry.  Then there's the ads and the seductive, almost naked cheerleaders. 
How many Christians seen nothing wrong with sitting through that? What's more, Many churches watch the Super Bowl inside the church! The same sins they decry, the bring into the church Super Bowl Sunday! They bring food, laugh, and cheer for their team. 
How many Christians use the excuse of not living under the law anymore to justify their sinful actions? Does grace give any Christian the right to ignore or participate in sin?
 No!
 However, many ignore the sin, or feel like they will not be affected by it.
  Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness. 
2 Peter 3:17
Many Christians misconstrue that all things are lawful for them, so "seeing" others sin should be okay as long as they are not the ones actually doing it. This would explain why Christians rationalize that it is perfectly okay to watch The Walking Dead and other demonic horror shows with wizards, zombies, vampires, and other forms that look like they crawled straight up out of the pits of hell.
But God's word says,
I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me. Psalm 101:3
Click to read more at:

24 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I heard a group of our youth talking about this group and I went on Youtube to look them up.I was very upset with what I saw, could not understand one word or hear one word above the music. You have expressed this much better than I could. I have sent this to several parents who told me they were not familiar with the group, but as they were billed with other Christian groups; they had no objection to their children attending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Yes, I think more people should question stuff a lot more and be willing to look to the Bible for answers when they are having trouble discerning what is right. I am glad you sent this to others. I hope it will help.
      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for your post on music.......I'm going to have a hard time waiting for the next one (ones?) I really like that your not just giving your opinions but are also giving reasons for them :) Thanks again! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this comment. I am glad you said what you did about me not just giving my opinion but also giving reasons because the one thing I didn't want to do was to come across sounding"holier than thou". Thanks!
      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for linking up at Party Under The Big Top #BigTopBlogParty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stand by you. Keep proclaiming the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! I appreciate your supportive comment.
      God bless you.

      Delete
  5. It is sad what is named (or not named) Christian these days. Even in church I long for at least one OLD hymn that mentions Jesus Christ and or His blood. Your research on these bands was informative and educational. I wonder if these band members have actually had a life changing Spiritual Experience with Jesus Christ. Thank you for sharing with us here at Tell me a Story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only say that I hope each member has or will have a life changing experience with God. I pray for each of these precious people.
      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Hi Chris, good post. Our family have always been involved in some kind of Christian music and worship and I have to say that if my son had dressed like that when playing in his band or sung lyrics like that I would have had a lot to say to him. We need to take a stand against anything we see that goes against the Word of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! I pray for God's blessings on your family's music endeavors.
      God bless.

      Delete
  7. Chris - I am so thankful to see this post! Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!! I have felt like I was rather alone in seeing this as so many Christians have no problem with this stuff. Thank you for addressing this issue... I look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have been inspired by all the positive comments on this post.
      God bless.

      Delete
  8. Dear Chris! I cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this post and how thankful I am that you proclaim the full truth here. God bless you and stand beside you and keep you strong in Him. This just made me shudder to think that these people do not even want the name of "Christian" attached to them. I wonder if it is because they know deep in their hearts that their music, their demeanor, and their dress is far-removed from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. WE need to wake up. The church needs to wake up and shake off this apathy and start seeing things as they really are. Without a vision, the people perish, and without holiness, no man shall see the Lord. God help us, we are in such a lethargic age and surely the Laodicean church in Revelation describes our age of time. THANK YOU for this anointed, inspired post, Chris. Love and appreciate you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. I am most shocked at the churches taking their youth groups to concerts like this. It makes me mad, and it breaks my heart.
      God bless.
      Love ya

      Delete
  9. Chris ~ Thank you for speaking the truth. Lord, help us to wake up! God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your positive and encouraging comment.
      God bless.

      Delete
  10. Amen, amen, AMEN! Did I mention amen!! Oh Chris, this is so needed in today's society and you worded it gently and in love - I so appreciate this and you, my dear. Thank you so much for being an instrument for the Lord to use. Hugs and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is so needful.Thank you for your boldness and use of scripture. Praying it makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am relieved and incredibly blessed by this message of truth. I commend you Chris for your boldness and honesty.
    We have an obligation as woman of God to walk in purity and expose darkness. You encourage me and reignite my fire for never compromising and being alert.
    Thank you so much.
    God bless and strengthen you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent, excellent post. Thank you for standing up and writing this, even if you do step on toes. As Christians we have become so complacent and I am thankful for the reminder to watch what we put before our eyes. Thank you for sharing this powerful post at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are very few "Christian" bands that I listen to. Give me good ol' praise and worship music any day! Thanks for sharing at the Homestead Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so right. I had a post about the half time show that was nearly ready to publish. I held out on account of feeling like such a negative Nancy. Truth is, there's so much about "normal" to be refuted! Thank you for sharing the truth!
    "Shake your body and lose control"??? C'MON!

    ReplyDelete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...