Monday, April 13, 2015

Did Not Our Heart Burn Within Us?

And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures? Luke 24:32
 This past Sunday, our preacher preached a wonderful message about our Lord Jesus being alive and well.  It was a message of encouragement, and a message to rouse one's soul to rejoice. On the road to Emmaus, Jesus appear to two of His followers.  Saddened and discouraged, these two were discussing all that had happened during the crucifixion of Christ, and they were unable to recognize that it was Jesus walking along with them.  Jesus asked them what they were discussing and why they were sad.  During their walk, they talked with Jesus and Jesus opened the scriptures to them.  Later, Jesus sat down to eat with them.  It was not until Jesus broke the bread and blessed it that their eyes were opened and the two disciples recognized Him.  Then Jesus vanished out of their sight.
Now here is the verse that has stuck with me ever since Sunday's message.
And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures? Luke 24:32
Does your heart also burn within you as God reveals Himself and His truths to you through His word?
I love to feel Spirit swelling up within me like an enormous wave.  It makes my heart rush and flutter as the heat and excitement radiates all the way through my back.
His word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones... Jer. 20:9
 My mind becomes fixated as I desperately try to retain every thought that races through my mind. 
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18
...for thou hast taught me.
How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Through thy precepts I get understanding...Ps 119:102-104
The Holy Spirit is the very presence of God as He indwells within the heart of the believer. Throughout the Bible, fire often appeared as a symbol of God’s presence.  
Just as God spoke to Moses through the burning bush,
 The same fire(since the day of Pentecost) is His burning presence within believers!
Wow! What awesome "heartburn"! 
As He draws near and walks with me, my heart often BURNS as His word opens up before me.  I can read the same verse over and over, yet God reveals more and more as He wills. 
This also relates to my other post, Love The Lord Your God With All Your Mind.  The Lord desires for us to love Him with all our mind.  In fact, that is part of The Greatest Commandment. Therefore, I believe that He finds pleasure in opening up His word to us.
What will stoke up the fire of the Lord within us? 
God opened the scriptures to the two followers on the road to Emmaus.  Therefore, reading, studying and, meditating in His word will fan the flames.  He also walked with them, so fellowship with the Holy Spirit(the "Fire"itself) in prayer or worship will fuel the fire until it is a burning fire shut up in our bones!
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire. Matthew 3:11
Because of the Blood, we have the Fire!
It is this same fire, this same "heartburn", that is the Spirit of the Living God within me.  It is the same fire as it was yesterday, today, and forever.
 It is God's presence.
 It consumes.
It provides light and guidance.
It refines.
  It purifies. 
It creates a burning passion for God just as it did for His two followers on the road to Emmaus.
Although the two followers previously said that the day was far spent, they immediately ran back to Jerusalem after Jesus opened their eyes and vanished out of their sight
And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them, Saying, The Lord is risen indeed Luke 24:33-34
When this flame engulfs my heart, I too love to tell someone. 
His gifts are too wonderful not to share with others. Often times, it sparks a fire within them.
Go and Tell Somebody!
We are called to offer ourselves as a "living sacrifice" to the Lord in Romans 12:1. Isn't it interesting to note that sacrifices offered to God in the Old Testament were consumed by a fire!
Today, the Fire of the Lord has the same power as when it consumed the offering that Elijah ordered twelve barrels of water to be poured upon.
Then the fire of the Lord fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.
And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, The Lord, he is the God; the Lord, he is the God.
 1 Kings 18:33
Now, that same inextinguishable fire of the Holy Spirit lives within us!
Does not your heart burn within you?
Lord, stir up Your fire within me!

22 comments:

  1. Ooops! Chery Smith, l I just accidentally deleted your nice comment by mistake. If you see this, please comment again. Sorry!
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Chris! I know how easy that is to do! I LOVE this verse you shared. YES, I have felt my heart burn within me as Jesus has communed with me! I would have loved to have been there on that walk that day and had Him physically there by my side. One day, we will meet in glory, where we will be forever with the Lord! What a day that will be! When I think of fire burning within, I think of how God, oftentimes, uses fire to burn off binding things in our lives. It reminds me of the three Hebrew children, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, and how they walked bound into the flames. When they came forth, they were completely unharmed and unaffected by the fire EXCEPT it had served to loose them from their bondage! Praise God! Sometimes, the "furnaces" of trial we have to walk through seem to be 7 times hotter than usual, but Jesus is in there with us, and when He walks us out of those flames, we are FREER than we were when we went in. So many wonderful thoughts from this edifying post! Love you, dear friend, and appreciate your stand for God. May He bless you always. :)

      Delete
  2. How beautiful! To think of how it feels to be in the presence of our Lord and Savior. To express it like this, "Did not our heart burn within us" is so descriptive and moving. It reminds me of those emotions that overwhelm me during worship. Thanks for sharing this. Simply beautiful!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celi! Your comment is so sweet. I am glad that you enjoyed it.
      God bless.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this post. I loved how you used the Scriptures throughout it. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kali! I am glad that you enjoyed this post and the scriptures, and it means a lot to me that it encouraged you.
      God bless.

      Delete
  4. Being filled with the Holy Spirit and having that 'fire' within us is what keeps our hearts alive and gives us wisdom and understanding. I can't imagine the days before Pentecost, when this was not available to all believers. So grateful for His indwelling within us!!
    Blessings, Ann @ Christ in the Clouds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very grateful too, and I am so glad that you enjoyed this post.
      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Lord send the fire! Yes our hearts do burn at times when we are hearing something new to us and are considering if it be true. God is moving by His Spirit and I am expecting a great move of God in our church and in our City. Several spirit filled churches are experiencing new converts and spiritual growth too. Thank you for sharing with us here at "Tell me a Story," about the Fire and I love the fire of Pentecost that purges and then ignites us to service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can feel your excitement through your comment. I am so glad that this post has been a blessing to you.
      The flames are being stirred!
      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Wow, wow, WOW! What a wonderfu post, Chris! You said....
    "Because of the Blood, we have the Fire! It is this same fire, this same "heartburn", that is the Spirit of the Living God within me. It is the same fire as it was yesterday, today, and forever. It is God's presence. It consumes. It provides light and guidance. It refines. It purifies."
    Amen! I am going to write that down and keep it where I can see it throughout the day :) Thank you so much, my dear, for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing your comment is to me! I am so glad that this post has touched you.
      God bless.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I am near to you over at 'Tell Me a True Story" and you have spoken/written just what happened to me this morning, even using some of the same verses. How He has stirred in my heart today His flame of fire! Thank you for writing and confirming His word to me. How blessed I have been by my visit here today - bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that this post has been a blessing to you today. I always feel like the Lord inspires me to write when I write on topics such as this. I could never do it without His direction. Again, I am so glad to hear that it has touched you.
      God bless.

      Delete
  8. May our hearts burn within us with the flame of the Holy Spirit, shining through us to light the path of all we meet, to His glory! Thank you for this beautiful post and for the inspiring message. Linked up with you at Tell Me a True Story -- hope you'll stop by Saved by Grace for a visit!
    God bless,
    Laurie
    http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one of my favorite verses Chris. My husband spoke a few words on it a few weeks back that I have been contemplating ever since. Your post continues the stirring thoughts. Thank you for sharing this. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Chris for sharing this great post at Good Morning Mondays. Thank you for your inspiration. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED this post!! As I was reading it, I was saying Yes! Amen! I was especially struck by the following statement, "I love to feel Spirit swelling up within me like an enormous wave. It makes my heart rush and flutter as the heat and excitement radiates all the way through my back." His word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones... Jer. 20:9 I never thought of it that way, but indeed it is the Holy Spirit who causes this excitement as the Scriptures open up to us! I can relate to when you said, "My mind becomes fixated as I desperately try to retain every thought that races through my mind." I too have felt that desperation as I read over and over, wanting so much for the Words to become a part of me and transform me.

    Thank you so much for such an encouraging and edifying post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing what inspires you with Small Victories Sunday Linkup last week. Pinning to our linkup board and hope you joined us again this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning! I just wanted to let you know that this post has been *featured* on the Art of Home-Making Mondays this week! We hope to see you at our new link up today :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the feeling of my heart burning within! I just posted one of my favorite hymns that allows me to feel this way. I hope you'll come check it out: http://heavenissmilingabove.blogspot.com/2015/04/sacred-sabbath-i-believe-in-christ.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have always loved this portion of scripture. It reminds me how the words of the Bible still should burn in my heart. I will have to confess that at times I take the Bible for granted. Then I see a short video clip that our church showed of the Chinese people receiving Bibles in their language. They rushed to get them and then wept, kissed them, and held them close to their heart. Almost everyone began to start reading them right then. How far short I come some days to this. Blessings for again reminding me how important the Word of God should be.

    ReplyDelete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...